Sunday, December 4, 2011

Using a credit card as a credit reference for an aparment application?

I need to provide at least one credit reference for my apartment application. I was told I could use my credit card...





But my question is do I put the actual credit card number down? (I'd rather not do this), or do I provide some other info?|||I wouldn't do that. Not secure enough. You don't have any other accounts you can use or another apartment you rented, etc? I would never do a credit check for an apartment application. Sounds too sketchy...|||It sounds as if the landlord is using a standard old-fashioned application form provided by the Apartment Owners Association. You can put "Visa" and then "see credit report." I always found it easier to run my own credit report the day before I went to apply, and many times the landlord would accept that, or just glance at it. This would save me the credit check fee (which is highly inflated..many charge $30-50 for a credit check that costs $8 to run). Most landlords only care about evictions, unpaid rents that may be reported, and bankruptcies (as well as criminal history, whether you are a registered sex offender, things like that).





I also will not put down my bank account numbers...just indicate that I have them.|||Good question. They should have ran a credit check, and they already have your credit card number. Something smells a little bit here......be careful.|||Absolutely NOT. They can ask for your credit report, but do NOT give them your account number.





Credit reports come with partial account numbers (in most cases..not all) for consumer protection.





I would use a cell phone, utility, car, former rental.|||If you use a CC as a reference use only the Card Issuer Name and Address/Phone Number.





Do you have ANY other references? Such as previous landlord, cell phone, utility company(Gas/Electric)..etc. If they pull your credit report it will already show your credit cards, so you are not giving them anything new. But things such as utilities or cell phone bills do not show up on the report so putting it down would look better.|||No, just put the credit card company down...the apartment complex will pull your credit report and get anyother info they need...putting the number down is just a risk to your privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment