Saturday, December 17, 2011

What obligation does a company have to protect my credit card number?

I just found out that a company I purchase something from is then emailing my credit card information (unencrypted it would appear) to another company that will actually be charging my card.


They take the card via a secure website, and then they go and do something like this with it. I'm furious, but I'm not sure if they have actually done anything illegal or just irresponsible.


What are their legal responsibilities in the handling of my credit card number.


Anyone know?|||This happens all the time. It is in the best interest of a company to protect users data, but it is common for these data to go public. There is not much consumer can do about it, since when we make purchases, we let them have access to our data. Some companies even sell our data for profit. Thats why I carry cash and use only cash when I buy things.|||oo yeah, they have such a big problem, u can sue them because they are neglecting your information, and they are exposing themselves to liability problems. if they steal from u u can sue them and win a lot of money... bye|||they lose money if they don't. you're not legally required to pay if they screw up|||Your credit card number is not a secret since you show it to people every time you the card. It is your pin number which is secret and you can demand compensation if anyone divulges it.

No comments:

Post a Comment